Why Is Autoimmunity On The Rise?
While genetics is no question a factor in the development of autoimmune conditions, lifestyle and environmental factors are primarily responsible for the increased prevalence. Some of the main reasons for the rise in autoimmunity include:
- Increased number of C-sections & formula feeding (which change gut microbiome)
- Eating a poor diet (which promotes inflammation)
- Greater exposure to environmental toxins (e.g. BPA, phthalates, vaccines, glyphosate)
- Chronic stress (both physical and psychological)
- Hygiene hypothesis (i.e. being too “clean” from using hand sanitizers, antibacterial products, and antibiotics)