Castor oil is derived from the seeds of the Castor plant (Ricinus communis), also known as Palma Christi. Castor oil has been used for thousands of years, dating back as far as 4,000 years.
Although castor oil therapy has been used for centuries to promote healing in the body, it was Edgar Cayce who became famous for castor oil packs. He was known as the ‘Sleeping Prophet’, as he would go into a trance state and give health readings to over fourteen thousand people during the course of his life.
He used castor oil packs to topically to treat many ailments that resist traditional therapies. Known to conventional medicine only as a strong laxative if taken internally, this extract of the castor bean is a safe, gentle, easy-to-use remedy for virtually any illness – provided it is used externally.
In short, castor oil packs have been said to help detoxify the liver naturally, support uterine and ovarian health, improve lymphatic and blood circulation, aid parasite removal, boost the immune system, and reduce general inflammation.
I am going to mention right away that there are a few times you DO NOT want to use a castor oil pack. I want to be sure anyone reading this gets this information right up front.
- Castor oil should not be taken internally.
- Castor oil packs should not be applied to broken skin.
- Castor oil packs should not be used during pregnancy, breastfeeding, or during menstruation.
- If you are actively trying to conceive, discontinue use of castor oil packs after ovulation has occurred.
- Do not use castor oil packs if there is any chance of a malignant tumour
Therapeutic Uses of Castor Oil Packs
Castor oil packs involve the application of externally administering castor oil to the skin’s surface so that it can slowly be absorbed. Castor oil packs have many potential therapeutic uses including the ability to treat the following conditions:
- Skin conditions (such as fungal infections, rashes, acne, warts, callouses, eczema, allergies, and other inflammatory skin problems)
- Dry eye
- Parasitic infections
- Liver disorders
- Intestinal problems (such as constipation)
- Gallbladder inflammation
- Arthritis, back pain, sprains, injuries, or sore joints
- Aid fertility
- Boost immune system (increases the ability of T-cell lymphocytes to identify and kill viruses, fungi, bacteria, and even cancer cells).
What Actually Is A Castor Oil Pack?
A castor oil pack is a cloth soaked in castor oil which is placed on the skin to enhance circulation and promote healing of the tissues and organs underneath the skin.
Castor oil has been traditionally used to aid in cases with inflammation, pain, growths or when increased circulation was desired.
How Do Castor Oil Packs Promote Healing?
Castor oil packs stimulate important detoxification systems in the body; the lymphatic system and the liver.
Castor oil packs also stimulate healthy circulation. All of this is important for clearing out toxins, dead or foreign tissues, and old blood.
The stimulation of these systems may also help prevent disease in the reproductive organs. Castor oil packs are a great way to support a healthy reproductive system.
1. Lymphatic System
The lymphatic system is made up of lymphatic vessels, lymph nodes and lymph, a clear to a yellowish fluid. Lymphocytes are the cells of the lymphatic system. Lymphocytes help to provide immunological defense against disease. This system runs throughout our entire body. Lymph nodes are concentrated in certain areas of the body. Many lymph nodes surround the reproductive organs.
The lymphatic system removes toxins and waste from the area stimulated by the castor oil pack. The lymphatic system provides each cell in the body a means to get rid of waste. The lymphatic system relies on external movement and manipulation, as well as the regular movement of the entire body to function. The lymphatic system does not have a “pump” to move the lymph through it like the circulatory system has the heart. Castor oil packs are one way to stimulate the movement of lymph. Regular exercise is also a vital way to maintain lymphatic system health.
Stimulation of the lymphatic system occurs by applying the Castor oil pack over the reproductive system. This helps to cleanse the reproductive organs and promote healing of damaged tissues where the pack is applied.
2. The Liver
The liver is our chemical processing plant. The liver removes hormones, drugs, and other biologically active molecules from the blood. It then converts these by changing their structure or inactivating them, through different processes, and then excretes these to be passed through the kidneys. If there are too many excess toxins and hormones overwhelming the liver, they may be stored up, not only in the liver but other parts of our body, especially fat.
The liver also makes 1/3 to 1/2 of all lymph. Liver health is vital to the proper function of the lymphatic system. A liver that is overwhelmed due to poor diet, poor lifestyle choices, being sedentary, or exposure to ‘xenohormones’ (chemicals masquerading as hormones, such as plastics), cannot adequately function, or produce lymph as well. This may contribute to hormonal imbalance and disease.
3. Circulatory System
The circulatory system is more familiar to most people, the most familiar parts being the heart, blood, veins, and arteries. It runs throughout the entire body.
The promotion of circulation by the castor oil pack will bring in fresh oxygenated, nutrient-rich blood to the reproductive organs, including the uterus. Without proper circulation to the reproductive organs, they may not function at their best, this may invite disease, hinder proper healing of damaged areas, promote the formation of scar tissue and adhesion.
4. The Reproductive System
Castor oil packs are a great support for the health of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, and eggs, as well as detoxification before conception.
How To Use A Castor Oil Pack
Castor oil packs are simple to do at home and I like them because they require me to be still and relaxed. They can be messy, but with proper preparation are not.
– Large cotton or wool flannel cloth
– 200mL castor oil (hexane free)
– Glass bowl/container
– Hot water bottle or heating pad
– Old clothes that you don’t mind getting stained
– Small plastic bag/sheet
– Large towels x 2
– An old sheet, shower curtain or garbage bag (optional extras)
- Put on your older clothes.
- Take your cloth and place it in the glass bowl/container. Then pour enough castor oil over it to saturate.
- Get your hot water bottle or heating pad ready.
- Place one of your towels on a flat surface like a couch, your bed, or the floor. For added protection, you can also put down an old sheet, shower curtain or garbage bag on top so that your bed or couch won’t get stained from any oil that manages to escape the plastic cover.
- Position the second towel around the waist as you lie down ready to overlap over your torso, once the pack system is all in place.
- Place your saturated flannel over the liver region. The best place to place a castor oil pack for fertility issues is over the lower abdomen.
- Cover the pack with a small plastic bag.
- Place the heating pad or hot water bottle over the plastic bag which has the pack under it and fold over the towel that you have around your waist to secure pack into position. Let it sit for at least 45 to 60 minutes. During this time, you can rest or read a book. You may find yourself even falling asleep.
- When the time is up, remove the pack and clean the area with a wet cloth and a bit of baking soda if needed also.
- You can keep the pack in a glass container in a cool place or the refrigerator. You can also keep it in a sealed glass jar in a kitchen cabinet.
- Each pack may be reused up to 25-30 times. Just add some more castor oil as needed over time.
- Replace the pack only if it smells rancid or discolours from toxins being released from the body.
- Persistence and consistency are called for many chronic conditions. For best results, when trouble begins, apply a series of castor oil packs for 60 minutes about 3 times a week for a 3 week period. Consult with a practitioner first however to rule out more serious causes.
- Work with a qualified practitioner if treating conditions other than for normal wellbeing, such as parasite removal, since the protocol may be different and individualized.
For anyone who prefers a visual instruction instead, simply watch the videos below this article. The first shows how to use a general purpose castor oil pack, whilst the second video shows how to use one for fertility.
So enjoy feeling what a castor oil pack can do for you. Your renewed health awaits!
**If you’ve got this far – thank you for reading and I look forward to bringing you more information in the future.